View Full Version : Bath 9 Hornell 8 in 11 innings
05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Holy Momma mia, what an exciting game to watch as a fan !! There were so many dynamics and story lines involved with this game, they are too nunmerous to mention. No one deserved to lose this game. Both teams played their hearts out and if you ever want to see a sporting event for the first time, come out and watch a high school baseball game. Holy Lovin' Lucy, this was ebb and flow... back and forth. I hope everyone took their blood pressure medicine. ( haha ) more to follow...
05-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a great game. Does anyone have any results from other games played tonight?
05-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Avoca 5 Finney 3
Prattsburgh over Northstar 3-1
Alfred-Almond over Notre-Dame
Hammondsport over Arkport
Gen-Valley over Romulus
Whitesville over DeSales
05-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Bath wins classic 11-inning game against rival Hornell (http://www.the-leader.com/articles/2007/05/26/sports/sports02.txt)-The Leader
05-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Quite a laundry list of story lines...
* 5 lead changes
* Schwartz pitched on 2 days rest and did exceedingly well until he tired in the 6th.
* Bill Crowe's double in the 5th to start Bath's come back
* Mike Rossi's two out, 2 RBI, single in the 6th to put Bath up one run. ( their first lead )
* The bottom of the order coming through for Bath in the 8th to tie the game after being down 8-6.
* Hornell's Sciotti's 3 RBI's
* Mike Rossi's 3 RBI's for Bath
* Pinch runner Alex Venuti falling down in the middle of the base line on an attempted advance to third. The subsequent throw to 3rd sailed into right field tying the score again.
* Montana Yastremski and Andy Ratchford's double and triple to lead off innings leading to runs scored.
* Rossi's scoop at first on an errant throw in the dirt with a runner on 3rd and two outs ending the 7th inning.
* Davidson ( Hornell ) and Ratchford's ( Bath ) gut checks in coming on in relief the last 5 innings
There were so many more !!!
* Bath's lack of a fence cost them at least 5 or 6 home runs. All games are played at the spacious VA field. Bath had three long and, I mean long, ( 350' + ) fly outs in one inning alone.
* Who will pitch for Bath on Tuesday ? Bath spent their # 1 and # 2 pitchers. Rossi went 6+ and Ratchford 5 + with high pitch counts. Interesting but certainly necessary.
* After not beating Hornell for 3 years, Bath now has won 6 consecutive games against their rival in the last two years
* Bath will now play Penn Yan who beat Bath 4-3 and then Bath returned the favor last week in a 4-0 shut out against the Mustangs.
05-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I had the pleasure of watching that game. Awesome. I think the difference was that Bath never hung their heads. Hornell did.
When Bath was down 5-0, York's and Whedbee's BB's lead to Bath scoring 4 runs that inning. They both came around to score. They say walks kill you. I'd be interested to know how many kids scored, from both sides, that walked. Anyone that was there know that?
The right fielder for Hornell has a gun, but the kid who scored for Bath (Havens) has wheels. He had to have had, to have scored on the shot hit by York through the infield.
York, you can call him Mr. Clutch when it comes to sectionals. He's had the game winning RBI in 3 of the last 4 sectional games for Bath, including their sectional win over Hornell last year.
And from the games I've seen this year and read in the paper, Bath has more than 2 quality arm's that know how to pitch. That bodes well for Bath after an 11 inning affair.
There were also two fans thrown out by the home plate umpire.
vBulletin® v3.8.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.